Friday, May 8, 2009

A Little Sun

solar panels
The sun is actually shinning today a little bit. The first time all week. It's really tough on the solar panels with no sun! We have a gas powered generator that we run for back up, but we really hate to and are trying to do away with that. I am not sure if that is possible. We use propane as well, and would like to do away with that as well. Very tough.

The biggest problem we have here in the summer is refrigeration. While I would love to have a solar frig, we just can't afford one right now, so we have propane. We also use gas for cooking (only in the summer, in the winter everything gets cooked on and in the wood cook stove) and we have an on-demand water heater. Last summer we put in a wood water heater and used that all winter. I think I may try using it some in the summer just to see how it goes.

We are hoping to build a solar oven this summer and a solar dehydrator (I dry a lot of produce in the summer in the gas stove, not very efficient).

We would love to hear ideas from other people who are trying to do the same as us. I am always looking for ideas on how to cut back.

On a happy note, the strawberries I panted the other day are looking good. The rain was very good for them.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you're off the grid, but you're also on-line! Looking forward to reading about your really interesting set-up- off-grid completely fascinates me- I chalk it up to too much Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was a kid. Hope you'll post some photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos on the way. We love living off the grid and still having internet, it's about saving energy, and having comforts as well!

    ReplyDelete