Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Changing of the Sinks: Care of a Cast Iron Sink

Cast Iron Sink, as found
In a previous house I had a five foot cast iron sink, and I have truly missed it. I love a cast iron sink, especially for potting plants and washing vegetables; I like the space they offer.

I mentioned to an antique dealer friend of mine that I was looking for either a five foot, or four foot cast iron sink, figuring it would take some time to find one. He happened to have a four foot one on hand for $40, and even delivered it the next day.

Needless to say, sinks were swapped and we now have the iron one.

Cast iron sinks are very easy to care for. This one was a little rusty when we got it, so I brushed it with a wire brush, rinsed it with a garden hose and left it in the sun to dry. Then, I generously covered it with bacon grease and let it sit in the sun a few days. Before bringing it into the house, I rubbed the grease in real well.

Once a week or so I rub in more grease with newspaper. It keeps the sink black, and keeps it from rusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment