Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Autumn Soup

Fall is my favorite time of year. The weather is nice and the garden is full of things to be harvested. Here is the perfect soup for a cool fall day.

Autumn Soup
2 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion; chopped
5 carrots; sliced
5 cloves garlic; sliced
1 1/2 cup beet greens or spinach; chopped
1/4 cups scallions; chopped
1/4 teaspoon rosemary; ground
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek; ground
1/4 teaspoon horseradish; chopped
1 tablespoon celery flakes
1/2 teaspoon dill
8 cups stock, vegetable or chicken
8 small potatoes; chopped
1 1/2 cup squash; chopped
dash hot sauce; optional
dash hot pepper flakes; optional

Melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent. Add beet greens or spinach, scallions, and seasoning. Sauté for about 5 minutes more on medium heat.

In a large stock pot combine stock, potatoes and squash. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are about half done. Add ingredients from skillet and simmer until the potatoes and squash are cooked. Add hot sauce and paper flakes, if desired. Simmer about 15 minutes more and serve.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,
    Your Autumn Soup sounds wonderful. Here is So. TX it is still quite warm - 80 today. I wanted to let you know I made up your Zucchini Relish the other day. I am going to wait to pop open a jar in December when my parents come to visit. I know this is strange but my zucchini didn't produce a lot (gasp! No I am not kidding). I remember when I was growing up it grew faster than we could pick it. And that is truely what I wanted. I wanted to be able to make zucchini bread, freeze it, chop it, freeze it, puree, it freeze it, etc. (oh and Grill is, eat it!) I was out there hand pollenating and talking to them and they just didn't take the hint. I will plant them again in the spring. I am just laughing about this becuase of all the zucchini stories out there (leaving a bag on your neighbor door step, ringing the doorbell and running away). My god mother even came out of the hair salon once and found a grocery bag full hanging from her side mirror - and so did several other cars too. Anyway, thanks for posting the Zucchini Relish recipe. I look forward to trying it. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that soup. I'll bet horseradish is the magic ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, how funny. There are the same stories around here with zucchini being left on people's door steps. Last year we had a horrible zucchini year, but this summer was great. And we were able to use all of it...like you I love it grilled. I hope the relish comes out good! (28 here this morning, burrrr!)

    ilex, the horseradish does make it yummy (although I think horesradish makes most anything yummy!)

    ReplyDelete