Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Update On Making Malt Vinegar

On June 29, 2009 we wrote a post on an experiment we decided to try, making malt vinegar. Here is an update.

Between June and September we looked at and smelled the "vinegar" every few weeks, things were looking good.

On September 26th the one with the bread had some mold on it, so we removed it and put the liquid into a clean jar. The other looked fine.

On October 25th we took off more mold and decided to add some apple cider vinegar "mother" to it, hoping that the mother would get the vinegar going.

By November 29th the whole thing was moldy so we threw it away.

The jar that did not have the bread still smelled fine, but just like stale beer. We decided to add some mother to that as well in hopes that it would get the vinegar process started.