Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Easy Recipes, Baked Beans

bean pot
This is a recipe from our Grant Farm Honey Recipes Cookbook. Perfect for a cold day!

Baked Beans
2 cups dried beans, your choice
1 large onion; chopped
1/4 pound salt pork, or 1 tablespoon of salt
3 tablespoons dry mustard
3 tablespoons molasses
1/4 cup honey

Soak the beans over night.

Preheat oven to 500°F.

Cut salt pork in half and put a piece in the bottom of a bean pot. Add the beans and soaking liquid. Add the rest of the ingredients, placing the other piece of salt pork on top of the beans. Be sure you have plenty of water to cover the beans well.

Bake at 500°F for one hour, then lower the temperature to 350°F and cook about 4 to 4 1/2 hours longer. Check the liquid every so often and add more as needed.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds great - do they end up pretty sweet? i don't like my baked beans to be too sweet - perhaps adding some jalapenos or other hot chillies would balance the sweet some?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really aren't too sweet, but I think the hot peppers would make an interesting touch! They are also good with horseradish added just before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy!! I'd put another tablespoon of molasses or half-cup of honey myself--I like all my food to taste like dessert. So, what time's dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great recipe! The one I use is in a crock pot (I like not having the oven on - electric). The recipe uses a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, chili sauce and dried mustard. Last time I made it, I also had some ground ginger on the counter and grabbed the ginger instead of the mustard. I thought it might give the recipe some extra zip, but it didn't, it was just fine. What I like about your recipe is everything is natural, where mine I am using bottles of this and that with hidden stuff I don't care to use anymore. So the next time I make baked beans I will use your recipe in the crock pot. Thank you for sharing it. Emily in So. TX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord Wellbourne, Dessert is the best part of the meal....so why not the entire meal?

    Emily, I hope you like them. I like the sound of the ginger...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sentiments exactly!! Let the food be on the sweet side and let the good folks around the table provide the spice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family really enjoyed this recipe. I have tried several recipes from your cookbook. The garlic and vermouth sauce is great. I have made it several times. Last time I used pumpkin bisque instead of the heavey cream and it was wonderful
    When will we see the next cookbook????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Judy...I am glad you enjoyed : ) The pumpkin bisque substitution sounds wonderful!

    I am hoping to have the next book ready as an ebook early this winter. Fall is such a busy time and I am hoping that by winter things will slow down a bit and I can get to the fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete