Sunday, February 14, 2010

Making Powdered Sugar

We do not use a lot of sugar here, it’s mostly honey or maple syrup, however we do keep some on hand for certain recipes. At Christmas time my husband wanted to make some fudge that called for powdered sugar (which we never buy) so we decided to make our own.

One pound of granulated sugar (about 2 ¼ cups) will yield  about 3 cups of powdered sugar.

We found it best to process the sugar in about ½ cup batches in the blender. Start at slow speed for a few seconds, and then go to high speed for about 20 seconds. Stop the blender, scrape down the sides and blend on high for an additional 20 seconds.

This gave us a nice powdered sugar. We noticed that after a few batches the blender started to feel hot, so we let it rest for a bit to cool down.

14 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I didn't know you could do that. Sure beats having to bundle up and go to the store! And it definitely beats a hammer and cheesecloth! (I've actually done that--long ago in my young and foolish days).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hammer, cheesecloth and sugar???? Well, I guess desperate times call for desperate measures! (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I had no idea that was possible. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a definite desperation among the young and foolish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve & Sarah, you are welcome!

    Lord W, To be young and foolish again.....although I sometimes think the foolishness never goes away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite right! As an older and wiser person I had the sense to purchase a blender. I don't think we ever outgrow the 'foolishness' part. At least I hope not. What's that old saying? "Youth is wasted on the young". True, so true. I still have the hammer and cheesecloth should I ever need to exercise the fool within.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip! I've done this with maple crystals too; useful technique as I also don't keep confectioner's sugar in the pantry on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this! It drives me crazy to buy more than one kind of sugar when I would prefer to buy none.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sustainable Eats, You are welcome! I am glad you enjoyed and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. doesn't powdered sugar from the store contain 10% cornstarch? Isn't that why is says 10x? if I used home made powdered sugar without the same ratio of conrstarch couldn't some of my recipes turn out wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dawn, I am not sure about the cornstarch. We have used our home made powdered sugar in fudge recipes with no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have done the sugar this way in a blender, but was warned that the powder could explode!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Henrietta, Haven't had that problem (yet, at least!)

    ReplyDelete