Wednesday, May 12, 2010

An Easy to Make Screen House for Hen and Babies

Gwen and Baby in Chciken Screen House

An Easy to Make Screen House for Hen and Babies

We are always on the look out for items to be reused and saved from the landfill. When we saw wooden framed window screens at a yard sale one day we knew they were too good to pass up. At the time we didn't have a use for them, but since then they have been used over and over again as a chicken screen house.

The screens measure about 3' by 4 ½' and screw together easily. We have enough to cover the top (we don't screw the top down, but leave them easily removable so that we can climb in and out of the area to change food and water).

Making a Chicken Screen House

We build a small house for the chicken and chicks to sleep in at night, something we can lock up to keep predators away. This fits in the screen house easily and has ventilation at the top so that the chickens don't get too warm in the summer.

Chicken Screen House

We have used these screens for hens with babies, but also for chicks and ducklings that we bought from the feed store. It keeps the babies safe, and yet lets them get fresh air and grass.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy, Great Screen House! I have been away for a bit and I am am trying to catch up on my blog reading. I went over the Homestead Haven to check in but can't view it. Have you merged the two blogs or will you open Homestead Haven again?

    I was reading your post on Meat loaf, and Pasta and Egg Scramble. You made me drool. I make a pasta similar to yours (but different). I either use basil pesto or fresh cream as my sauce. I do added egg to the cream one. And the rest is a combo of cooked swiss chard or spinach, browned ground sausage (or what ever meat is in the fridge to get used up), sun dried tomatoes, onion greens. Then what ever else is in the fridge to use up. Black olives, mushrooms, onion, pine nuts, etc. etc.

    Pasta is so versatile - plain with some simple butter or olive oil and fresh herbs to adding sauce and other ingredients.

    I hope you have a good day.
    Emily in So. Tx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily, Nice to hear from you : )

    I did decide to merge the two blogs, I just didn't seem to have enough time to do the Homesteading Haven the way I wanted to and was getting pretty stressed out about it. The food fits nicely into this blog, so I decided to just have the one blog.

    Your pasta you do sounds wonderful. We do a lot of "clean up" from the frig with pasta dishes, too. Pasta is so great like that.

    Gardening season has finally started here (although we did get a frost the other night) and we have already been doing some foraging. I plan on foraging more things this year. I love the idea of food that I don't have to plant or weed!

    ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete