Thursday, July 15, 2010

A “What’s In the Frig?” Pasta Salad

Pasta Salad
Earlier today I was in the mood for a pasta salad, but I knew I really didn’t have a lot of ingredients on hand. I decided to scour the refrigerator to see what I could come up with.

I cooked about 3 cups of pasta and set it aside. I found walnuts and shredded some asiago cheese. Last summer I made pickled nasturtium seeds (“capers”) and pickled garlic scapes, and I knew these would be good in a salad. We recently bought some organic freshly pressed sunflower oil from a local farm. That and some of the brine from the garlic scapes would make a great dressing. From the spice drawer I decided on Italian herb blend.

Ingredients For Pasta Slad

I didn’t measure a thing. Just “a little of this, a bit of that” and tasted as I went along. I added a little extra sunflower oil at the end and mixed in all the ingredients.

It tastes great!

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I read this AFTER I'd eaten dinner! Sounds so very yummy. Simple and exotic all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lord Wellbourne. A lot of what we make here is with whatever happens to be hanging around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Especially if they are cows.....hummmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Run, Bossie, run! Mama has a recipe with your name on it!

    ReplyDelete