Monday, September 27, 2010

Rice & Bean Salad

Rice & Bean Salad

This rice and bean salad makes a great side dish, or even lunch.

Rice & Bean Salad
2 cups rice; cooked
2 cups beans, lima/or choice (dried beans); cooked
1 tablespoon celery leaves; dried or 1/4 cup celery
1 small onion; chopped
2 tablespoons pickled garlic scapes; optional
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons herbal vinegar; or apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper; to taste

We used cooked dried lima beans in this recipe. I think another type of dried bean would work better, the lima beans got a bit mushy, but the taste was great. Measure the 2 cups of beans after they are cooked, not before.

Combine cooked rice and cooked beans in a large bowl.

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. More oil or vinegar can be used as needed to taste.

6 comments:

  1. I would have used other beans, too. Never developed a liking for Limas. This weekend I'm going to make red beans and rice Texas style--well, maybe not quite as fiery. I think rice is very undervalued anymore. It has such versatility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree......we eat rice with so many different things. Never gets boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum rice and beans. I am doing more with beans lately. I need to keep an eye out for dried lima beans. When I was a younger (like 5-6 years old) I used to eat them out of a can (snack time) and I still like them today. I know I am in the minority on that one. I tried growing black beans for drying this past spring. Oh the plants grew great, had great flowers, but no beans at all. I will try again next year. I don't have room in the fall garden to try now. Thanks for another great recipe. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have been known to eat lima beans out of the can : )

    We never seem to have the room to grow drying beans, but are lucky that people in the area grow them.

    Hope you enjoy the recipe, Emily. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Vincent! I checked out you site...very nice.

    ReplyDelete