Thursday, December 16, 2010

What, My Stove? Are You Nuts??

Well, we did it. Just like that, our gas stove is no longer with us. Yup, gone. Cold turkey (literally).

What prompted this, you ask? I guess you could say “putting our money where our mouth is.” We have been slowly trying to eliminate propane use at our house, which started with the wood fired water heater.During the winter the gas stove is shut off, but still available, kind of like a crutch, a nice security blanket for "bad fire" days. But after some long talks (over a home brew or two) we decided to just take the stove out. There – now there is no excuse.

One thing that helped us arrive at that decision (besides the home brew) was the early Christmas gift of Global Sun Oven® - World's Best Solar OvenA friend has one and absolutely loves it. It's how she does all her summer baking and cooking, doing extra on sunny days to carry them over on cloudy days. She spoke so highly of it that it helped to make our decision easier.

I am a bit concerned about cooking in the summer, although last summer I did use the wood stoves most days (even in 80ยบ F weather) to cook a quick meal (no stews or breads). We have a bread machine we use on sunny days (doesn't effect our solar that way). And, I think we will cheat a little and keep our gas grill......for now.

Wish us luck!

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on taking the plunge! I just yesterday fired up (literally!) my 1909 Glenwood K cookstove for the very first time. I'm so excited! I was able to cook the veggies on the top last night, and all of dinner in and on it tonight. Still sorting out how small the firebox is, but that'll come in time. I have been eyeing one of those Solar Cookers as well - I'll look forward to reading about your experiences with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, I am happy to hear about your cookstove! Seems to me that every time I bake with mine it's trial and error. I have cooked a roast in 45 minutes one day and taken 2 hours to cook a loaf of bread the next! Never boring! I am excited about the Sun Oven. I don't have a good place to use it in the winter outside (they say you can use it even in freezing temps), but have thought of trying it in front of the sliding glass doors just to see how hot it gets. Now the sun just has to shine!
    ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so missed you!! Congratulations with the plunge. There's no way I could convince my mother to do without the ghastly electric behemoth in the kitchen. Her mother cooked everything on a wood stove and I loved the ambience of it. Everything tasted like real food should. I want that again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lord Wellbourne,

    I am sorry to have been away so long....

    I think food cooked on a wood stove tastes so much better, too. Maybe I could email you a stew?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and some two-hour baked bread please! That would be heavenly on the arctic nights here on the tundra!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe we'll get lucky and I can get the bread baking down to an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll milk and churn the butter! Really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy, Congrats to you for your big change. I deal with an an electric stove/oven daily. I would love to switch to at least gas (I live in TX for crying out loud and there isn't gas plumbed in the house - really!)

    I also look forward to hearing about your adventures with your Sun Oven. I have looked into it a bit and haven't followed through. I know I could take the plunge on that quite easily! Sincerely, Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily, I am very excited about the Sun Oven. Still haven't had enough sun here on days I'm home to give it a try. I won't really know much til spring when I can use it outside. Hopefully next year we will have a deck off the house and that will make it a snap to use!

    Merry Christmas to you all!

    ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck!

    Tara Laverdiere
    Portland, Maine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, an unhappy update. We finally did have to give in and get the gas stove back. It was getting very frustrating trying to bake. And we do love to bake! It doesn't get used much, but at least I don't pull my hair out quite as much waiting for breads, muffins, even cookies!

    ReplyDelete