Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cooking Chicken In A Solar Oven

Chicken in the Sun Oven

A few weeks ago was the first chance I got to use our newGlobal Sun Oven® and I cooked a chicken. It came out great, only problem was that I forgot to take photos. So, last weekend I did another one.

Cooking a whole chicken in the Sun Oven was so easy....I put the chicken in a covered glass dish, put some seasoning (paprika and oregano and garlic) on top, put on the cover and set the dish in the oven.

I did preheat the oven up to 350 degrees, but not sure if this step was really necessary. Every 30 minutes or so I went out to be sure the oven was facing the sun all right and made adjustments when necessary.

The first chicken I let cook for about 4 hours. The baking dish was full of wonderful juices and the chicken was falling off the bone. The second time I let it cook about 3 hours. We had more clouds on the second try, but the meat was still falling off the bones and just as tender as you could want.

Chicken in Sun Oven

Today I have a leg of lamb in the Sun Oven. We have more clouds than sun, so I am not sure how long it will take to cook. I have a thermometer in the meat, so I will keep my eye on that.

Lamb in the Sun Oven

Can't wait to try cookies and breads! I will keep you posted.

13 comments:

  1. Once you start using the sun oven you get hooked. It is kinda fun, and who thought cooking could be fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Jane. I was so excited about how well the chicken cooked. I have a loaf of bread rising and the oven preheating...we'll see how it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH NANCY! That is so exciting. I am so glad you finally got rid of enough snow in your yard to be able to "fire up" up the sun oven! I am so excited that the things you have made turned out great. I look forward to reading more and you use it more. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting! Never heard of them. So I will definitely be checking them out..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! The food looks great and I always wondered how those solar ovens worked so thanks for you post! It is really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm I can smell it from here! I can't wait to hear how the lamb turns out...and, oh my, the breads! I am such a fool for breads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...the lamb. It started snowing (yes, in April in Maine...believe it or not) so I had to move the lamb into the wood stove oven. I am glad to finally be using the sun oven and will let you all know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I believe it! We share the same state and not too far apart. Gee, the leg of lamb gets around more than I do and has a lot more fun. I'm sure you're having the same overcast dismality I'm having. Thank goodness for the wood stove eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes...thank goodness for the wood stove! (we may be using it in June this year the way things are going!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi guys. Im from Mass and am not fit to live in todays society. I dont make hardly any money and cant afford the whole cycle of things needed to sustain life in the city. I really want to head up to Maine and homestead about 300 acres of land. From scratch. Grow my own veggies. Raise my own animals. Sell the veggies at the market to buy animals. Chickens. Horses. Cows and Bulls.(eventually) Like the Alaskan family on that show. Thats my dream and a calling Ive had my whole life since I was a child.I am 39 y.o now. I would love to hunt and fish for my own survival. I quit school in the 10th grade to go fishing and hiking in the woods everyday. I just love it. Thats living.Do you think there are large plots of good land still left in Maine?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That does sound like the ideal life : ) I wouldn't be surprised if there are still large tracks of land for sale in Maine, a quick search online could probably tell you. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you buy or make your sun oven..I would love to make one..we are just starting our small homestead in Ohio with just under 8 acres..got the garden in the ground, got the chickens(love them) next we are going to put pastures in and get pigs and cows.. do you grow your own food for your animals? I have started making my own breads, butter, I hope to can food from the garden for the first time in my life(I am 45)lol but I say better late than never..I love your blog..I just found it and I can't wait to sift through all the pages!! ;0) Thanks for letting us in on your life style!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We bought this sun oven, but are hoping to make another one. I would love to experiment someday and build one off the side of a greenhouse, so the oven is outside but the access is inside. Not sure how it would work, but I think it would be a good experiment.

    We don't grow our own animal food yet, but are able to buy it locally.

    I am so happy to hear about all your doings; it is hard work, but worth it. There is so much satisfaction in growing your own food :)

    Glad you found us!

    ReplyDelete