Tuesday, January 29, 2013

“Popcorn Perfectis”

Enjoying A Great Bowl of Popcorn



Popcorn is a comfort food.

Let's face it- simple, buttery popcorn can lift a mood, put a smile on a face, fill the belly.

It's one of our simple pleasures.

Once in a while my mother will tell me she had a big bowl of popcorn for supper and I feel envious.
As a child, a special Sunday night snack for my husband was popcorn and fudge.

Why do we get such pleasure from a big bowl of popped corn?

I'll have days where I think “I need a bowl of popcorn.”

And the choice of toppings is only as limited as the imagination. I like mine with olive oil, garlic powder and sea salt. My husband is the “traditional” mounds of butter and salt. I've read about caramel, cinnamon, sugar, spices, herbs......it amazes me all the different toppings that make this magical food all the more magical.

Today, I have my all time favorite, with olive oil, garlic and sea salt. It's probably not my husband's favorite, because I really pour on the garlic powder. But I love it. Sometimes it's lemon pepper, another unusual, but delicious choice. It's always satisfying, no matter what goes on top.

Our Choice For Popping
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

  1. I may have to have a bowl of popcorn, never tried with olive oil. And your pumpkin bread recipe sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The olive oil is good, but different.
    Thank you : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popcorn is a staple in my home...always has been. I even love the leftovers as much as the fresh popped! :) I use powdered brewer's yeast on mine sometimes...a slightly nutty taste that keeps you digging for more. I am an old school butter and salt kind of gal...so when my girlfriend made popcorn and it had a different taste to it, I was quick to ask her as it was just delightful. I will give yours a try! :) I also like powdered cheddar cheese on it too.
    I saw your pumpkin bread recipe and am going to copy it down. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way...I love your popcorn popper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AkasaWolfSong, You know, I had forgotten about brewer's yeast! It is wonderful on popcorn. And I can't believe I have never put grated cheese on mine....hummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coconut oil is scrumptious as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terri, How interesting! I never would have given coconut oil a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh hello to all you popcorn lovers! Me too! popcorn for dinner - not uncommon for me at all, it is a staple around here. The past few years I have been cooking it in mostly coconut oil (expellor pressed) and sprinkling nutritional yeast on it. Butter and salt is still a fav.

    I have a hard time getting the nutritional yeast to stick - anyone out there know of any tricks. I have gone as far as buttering the popcorn, then adding it, but that seems to be defeating the purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that every time I've used nutritional yeast it doesn't stick. I started just adding a little and as I eat the popcorn, I add more. Then I have to scrape the bottom of the bowl with the popcorn to get the rest. (nothing like a good workout while eating)

    ReplyDelete