Saturday, April 20, 2013

Shortbread Cake

This is one of our favorite dessert recipes to make. It uses honey instead of sugar, and is not overly sweet. We serve it with fruits (and usually whipped cream because I am always looking for an excuse to eat more whipped cream!)

Shortbread Cake


Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions:

Grease an 8” x 8” pan.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl until well blended.

Pour into pan and bake about 20 minutes, until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the middle.

This makes a great shortbread for strawberry shortcake or any other fruit dessert, especially when served with whipped cream.

shortbread cake ingredients

shortbread cake, ready to go into the oven

shortbread cake, baked

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. How did you make the swirl in the cream? Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carol! We have a whipped cream dispenser that makes the swirl. If I were clever I could put a link here in the reply to show you, but I'm afraid I don't know how to do that! I will put it at the end of the blog post. It's not just like that one, but similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy and super simple. I'd love to mix up some berries in lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and give it a try.
    -Cindy
    blugrnlg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, the lemon juice or vinegar sounds like a nice touch! Maybe even some fresh mint....hummm..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe sounds marvelous and what a beautiful shortbreat it makes. It's lovely for a nice after dinner desert. Thank you for sharing this! Have a great week and I hope you are not getting all the snow we are getting here in SD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I am the same Angela that has been following your blog. I just have a different photo now on the blog.

      Delete
  6. Hi Angela, Thanks for commenting! It is a nice, light dessert. I am very glad we are not getting snow! Actually have 58o and sunny today. I think Spring is here!
    ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should bake it in a solar oven. Probably easier to do here in Phoenix, AZ ;) Nancy
    www.Facebook.com/NovelPostGrid

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right, and I have done the cake in the sun oven. I absolutely love my sun oven and it gets used practically every sunny day all summer and fall.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete