Monday, May 13, 2013

Separating Cream From Milk

We are fortunate to live close to an organic farm where we can buy raw milk (since for now we are not milking any of our cows).  And one of the added benefits is that, left to sit in the refrigerator over night, the cream will rise to the top of the milk, making it easy to separate.

We have future plans to someday get a cream separator, but for now we do it a simple way.

The container of milk is set at a higher level than an empty container.


We use a piece of plastic tubing to start a siphon and let the milk flow into the empty container, being careful to stop before siphoning the cream.

If you look closely at the top of the milk you can just make out the cream, it is a slightly darker color.

Once we get to the cream we simply remove the plastic hose to stop the flow.


The cream can then be used however you like. For us it's usually made into whipped cream, one of my all time favorite foods.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8 comments:

  1. Deeeeeeelicious. So glad you have access to raw milk! Can you make real craime fraiche with it too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, we are lucky to be able to get the raw milk. I have made creme fraiche, but not sure if it comes out like it should because I've never had the real thing.....it's delicious, so I guess that's all that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, and simple. I usually pour mine in a gallon glass jar and ladle off the cream. Your way looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, the most important thing is to get that delicious cream....whatever it takes : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fountains Abbey DairyOctober 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

    We do it 2 ways. Pour milk into a iced tea jar (with a spigot) which will get most of the skim milk out. Pour milk into a plastic jug and poke a hole in the bottom (I do this when I need heavy cream). I wonder if you could put a tap or plug on the bottom of your jug there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea. We actually have a gallon jar with a spigot that we use to make sun tea. I think I should start using it for my milk!

      Delete