Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Starting Rosemary Plants

I read an article a few years ago about taking cuttings from a rosemary plant to start new plants. It's one of those things that has been on my "to do" list, which is crazy because it is so simple I should have done it the moment I read the article.

All you have to do, according to the article, is fill a pot with good soil, snip a cutting from your rosemary plant and stick it in the soil. Water well and often.

I did these three cuttings about a month ago. The first few days I left the plants in the shade so that the soil wouldn't dry out too much between waterings. Then I set them in partial sun, where they have been ever since. 

The article said that after a month or so give the cutting a little tug to see if it is taking root. All three of these are. I water them almost every day since the pots are so small and they do dry out quickly.

Rosemary is one of those plants that I have a hard time keeping alive during the winter, so that will be the real test for these plants.



7 comments:

  1. I too have not been able to a rosemary plant survive the Winter here in my corner of the world. I had one indoors and then I planted it outdoors this Spring. Will try again but will have it covered up. I have a new one in a small pot that I will bring indoors when Fall cames. Starting your own plant is a clever thing to do! I shall try that also. Thank you for this information Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year I had trouble even keeping it alive during the summer! I wonder if it is all of our cold nights? I will have to buy myself one big gorgeous already thriving rosemary and then try your cuttings method. It is difficult to start from seed. Timely post, as I have been thinking that I like, especially, to use rosemary in my fall cooking (soups and stews and roasted veggies!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I wonder why rosemary is so troublesome! It is such a great herb to have on hand, the flavor can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great. I will have to give it a try. I love rosemary & have not had good luck wintering it.
    Thank you,
    LadyLocust

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady Locust, I hope it works out well for you : )
    ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nancy, Rosemary grows so well here and year round. I am very lucky to have it. I have mixed results with starting a new plant (same with scented geranium too) I have found that when I strip the last 3' or so of its leaves, dust it with a powder root hormone and then pot it up - keeping those 4" pots really watered well for several weeks that I have the most luck. I still seem to lose a few. I started up 18 scented rose geranium about 2-3 weeks ago and so far I have only lost 3 - the best so far. I need to get a tray of rosemary going. It is such a wonderful plant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily, Keeping the small pots well watered is so important....especially with all this heat. I had forgotten about doing the scented geraniums. I did some years ago, ended up moving and lost all the plants. I have missed having them. Hope your summer is going well : )
    ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete