Saturday, September 21, 2013

Using Our Solar Sun Oven

 
I can't stress enough how much we love our   Sun Oven . I use it almost every sunny day and have cooked everything from soups, breads, muffins and apple sauce to pasta dishes.

It's such a different experience cooking in a solar oven than in a regular oven. Some times the food cooks faster, sometimes slower depending upon the amount of clouds that pass by.

For us, the easiest things to cook are those that don't need careful watching; put all the ingredients in a kettle, place in the oven and point it towards the sun. Through out the day I simply reposition the oven towards the sun.

Today we have a pasta dish cooking. I put raw hamburg, raw pasta, seasonings, tomato sauce and a little water in the kettle and it's been cooking for the past few hours. I didn't measure anything, just threw it all together. Yesterday we made apple sauce- 3 batches.

Pasta In The Sun Oven
 The great thing about a solar oven is anyone with access to south facing sun and an outdoor area can use one, city or country, doesn't matter. It's one more way to become a little more self-sufficient. 
~~~~~~~~~
 

15 comments:

  1. We never had one of those ovens. It sure would be helpful when one needs to cook for a lot of people. The food looks well cooked. It saves the environment too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anglea, It is a great oven even for cooking for just two. Infact there are times I wish I had a second one, that way I could do a meal and desserts at the same time.
      Thanks so much for reading...we appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE my Sun Cook solar oven.

    Roast anything (chicken, pork, beef, lamb) and bake bread, biscuits and even Christmas cakes, etc. - it's brilliant.

    I have reached a temperature of 220oC in my oven - I wonder how hot a car can get when parked in the sun with the windows closed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, I know what you mean, my oven has almost become an obsesion!
      I actually tested the temp in our car because I wanted to use it to dry food. The temp never got above 140 degrees F, atleast when I tested it. I was able to dry herbs, apples and tomaotes in the back window of the car. Very cool....
      ~ Nancy

      Delete
  3. This sounds amazing. I am going to have to look into it more !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We cook with propane at this point, and have a wood cook stove that we can use... though prefer to only use it in winter as it heats up the house. Will have to look into a solar oven. I'm in a fairly cloudy part of the country (Great Lakes Region) and we do much better with wind powered devices than solar, but it would be worth trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aisling, not sure how it would be in a cloudy area....we have great luck on sunny days. Like you, we have wood and propane so using the sun oven is a great option!

      Delete
    2. Aisling, I live in S.W. Michigan. (great Lakes Region?). I just recently got a sun oven. I've already made spaghetti sauce, baked beans (from scratch) and bratwurst-n-sauerkraut in this oven with good results. Just watch the forecast closely & plan your sun oven meals for those days. It's do-able! (I plan to bake chicken & bread in it sometime soon. Oh, right now I'm making a key lime pie in it. We'll see how that turns out!)

      Delete
  5. It is so fun to see what you are cooking in your Sun oven. Between and you Dani (other commenter) I love seeing how you use them. I need to move this purchase up higher on the list. We have more sunny days than we can count here. I know I would be using it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, I bet you would use one a lot, and there is a lot of info online on building your own, which I still want to do. I know two could come in very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try to figure out if we have the space for this on our narrow south facing deck. Could you tell me the dimensions of this solar oven with the reflectors opened all the way up? I think the sales information I can find is for the box itself, not the open reflectors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. * My comment above should say that I am *trying* to figure out... Need to proof read before hitting publish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aisling, I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I have been away from the computer.

    The oven opened up measures apx 34" by 34". Hopefully this will fit your deck!!

    ReplyDelete