Friday, July 29, 2016

Why Is It So Hard To Relax?


For years I have been trying to meditate. It really shouldn't be that hard, but it is for me. As soon as I sit for more than 2 minutes I feel as though I need to get up and be doing something....have I watered the plants, are the dishes washed, what are we going to have for supper tonight....the thoughts never seem to stop.

Instead of sitting quietly I decided to try meditating to music and then maybe I could go from there to total quite.

I got a copy of Tranquil Guitar Soothing Music For Relaxation and Sleep CD and have been playing that and trying to clear my mind. The music is very peaceful and there are ocean waves between songs that make the transition from one song to the next without any interruption.

I try to take the time every day for at least 20 minutes to just sit and listen to this CD. I have been doing it for about 5 days and I do feel more relaxed.  I am hoping to be able to take my 20 minutes with this CD and later in the day do 20 minutes of silence.  Wish me luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 #TranquilGuitar








3 comments:

  1. I recently read this article regarding a particular meditation practice: http://alzheimersprevention.org/research/12-minute-memory-exercise

    I found a guided meditation version on Youtube that I found helpful: http://alzheimersprevention.org/research/12-minute-memory-exercise

    I have not managed to do it each day since I read about it, but have done it several times. My mind wanders... making to do lists, etc... but when I notice it, I just pull my attention back to the practice.

    Like you, music helps because it gives me something for my mind to engage in besides silence. I find I am less frazzled if I take a little time for quiet each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links! I was talking with a friend this morning and we decided a good goal to have is to just "be".

      Delete
  2. Oops... posted the same link twice. The guided meditation on YouTube is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wR4XhW0Sl0

    ReplyDelete